Osteoarthritis (OA) is one of the most common health conditions in dogs, and our cat friends, even though not as often, can also suffer from this. While there is no simple cure that erase OA, several strategies make a significant positive impact on its progression and effects.
Proactive management protects these joints from degeneration and slows progression of OA. Examples of proactive management are
- Keeping Your Pet Slender – we can help by discussing appropriate exercise and provide nutrition and calorie recommendations
- Protecting Cartilage – we often recommend oral supplements containing some ingredients such as glucosamine or chondrotin; or an injectable named Adequan
- Retroactive management alleviates pain and minimizes clinical signs
Examples of Retroactive Management, include:
- Medications such as NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), omega-3-fatty acids and collagen
- Exercise – we offer a rehabilitation program tailored to your pet’s needs and work with you to implement it at home. Visit our rehabilitation page!
- Acupuncture and laser therapy are more targeted for pain relief, but can also help with function. There is more detail on our acupuncture page
- Joint injection with PRP (platelet rich plasma) or Stem cells targets the inflammation in the joint. Visit our page on Stem Cell therapy for more insight.
Osteoarthritis Care for Pets in Traverse City, MI
To learn more about caring for your pet with osteoarthritis, please book an appointment or give us a call at 231-947-2365
Explore Our Complete List of Veterinary Services in Traverse City
Call Us or Schedule an Appointment Online
Meet With a Doctor for an Initial Exam
Put a Plan Together for Your Pet